Sat 31st Jan

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Sat 31st Jan

Post by DanO »

2nd sail of the year at Poole.
Cold gusty SE 15-18knots, planing most of the time on a 5.5m and Carve 122.
Struggling to get back upwind at times and could of easily done with a bigger fin and sail, but too cold too come in and make the change, and the gusts provided enough to waterstart.

Stayed in the safety of the harbour, but had a look at the Sandbanks side which had stronger wind and rolling swell, only one windsurfer out and half a dozen kites.

Still can't get in the footstraps on the Carve which seem way too tight no matter how much i try and adjust them. :???: Very frustrated with this.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Well done - keep trying.

Prior to trying to get into the straps, push your shoulders back to get your body outboard and more of your weight in the harness. This in turn will give you a better angle and position to slide your foot into the footstraps.
If found, please return to the pub.
DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Post by DanO »

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go. Got a Guy Cribb article as well to try.
Technique is a definitely a major issue, but I still feel I need to stretch the straps somehow. I'm size 9 with winter boots at the moment, straps have been undone and pulled, and I've even tried wider screw fixings (which just flattens them out) without success.
Maybe when I actually start getting into them, they will give a bit.

2009's target's are getting comfy in the straps and better shortboard tacking. If any fellow Nomads see me struggling in the water, please feel free to shout your tips out!
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Most impressive 8) .

I had expected a posting from the sunny side, so it is great to see someone other than Kelvin is equally hardy.

As an alternative to Ian's suggestion, using the screw holes closest together can make access to the straps easier (it makes the straps bulge). I sometimes have to waggle my foot to make sure it is firmly seated.

Failing that, I have a new set of velcro straps I can give you, although you will need to provide your own strap covers. Some straps do soften with use

At some stage you could find there is nothing worse than fighting for your very survival and you can't get your feet in the **** straps :shock:
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Post by DanO »

Thanks, I'm try bringing the straps back to the standard spacings,wet them down and leave a pair of Helen's old trainers in them and see if that works.
I'll give you a shout about the straps if this fails.
As for 'Fighting for your very survival' not sure I like the sound of that, but sounds like you've had a few memorable experiences!
WindsurfersWorld
had a lesson
had a lesson

Re: Sat 31st Jan

Post by WindsurfersWorld »

Still can't get in the footstraps on the Carve which seem way too tight no matter how much i try and adjust them. :???: Very frustrated with this.[/quote]

Dan,

Pop in the shop and see me, with the footstraps. I have a solution
for you. :)
dro
surf god
surf god

solution

Post by dro »

Eureka

Buy a pair of smaller feet.(available at all quality stores )

Lord Timid
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Could the rumour be correct, that WW is selling a new type of foot saw? :lol:

PS I seem to remember that tennis balls can be used to stretch straps or preventing them from crushing in transit. But, better still, I am sure WW have a secret fix.

PPS Thick winter booties can be a handicap.

PPPS You will find as your confidence builds in the straps, and when water starting, there is a temptation to start venturing out in ever more exciting conditions.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Post by DanO »

Not sure i want to discuss my anatomical transformations in public...but lets just say theres no limit to WW's help and talents!
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Come on Dan and WW, what the secret? I too have the same problem with the newish Startboard Footstraps. They may be OK for people in bare feet, but almost all the board I tried on holiday were a problem with my booted fat side 8EE. ... and no Huw I don't need your help :???:
Graham
DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Post by DanO »

Graham,
No magic tweak I'm afraid, I was lucky that Rich had a spare pair of slightly longer straps to exchange with mine.
Although slightly longer they are exactly the same strap design, but have the DRAKE logo instead of the STARBOARD logo, I'm assuming a previous version.
Now installed on the board in the standard screw spacings I can now get into them on dry land with my boots on. Happy Days!