May Bank Holiday At WSM

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

May Bank Holiday At WSM

Post by NigelP » Mon May 04, 2009 17:50

I missed Sunday's sail at WSM, as I had a better offer to explore Wansdyke. However, three separate people all told me the same story; how they arrived to find a F5 blowing, rigged up and.........yes, you know the answer, nothing.

This may help explain why, when I arrive two and a half hours before high tide, there were about twenty boards out. Only one guy came in and he was on a 6.4, but he did say it a bit of a handful.

I damaged my shoulders over the winter and was particularly nervous about this sail, especially if I could waterstart. So, I rigged up a 5.8 and was just about to walk down to the water when I met someone else returning. He was on a 5.2, 70l and was maxed out. So, I did the sensible thing and kept going. I was on my floaty board after all, the Hawk 96.

I went out like a rocket fuelled on adrenalin, completed the fasted gybe ever and came back in to change down my board. I took off again on the Fanatic Goya (76l), where I did discover I could water start (when I figured out how), which was both a great relief and saved a very long swim back. I returned to the beach sideways, in an extended spin out and rigged the 5.2. This time I took the Hawk back out, which was a bit marginal. By this time the tide had turned and WSM was back to its usual large and lumpy state. :twisted:

I was relieved that I was able to sail. However it was one of those days when I was feeling tired and timid and the conditions were there to punish the half hearted, so it was a bit of a disastrous start to the season sailing wise. I am also carrying a dead leg from hooking in too early (in the shore dump) and catapulting onto the mast.

On balance, it was a brilliant day, because I know I love these conditions and my body is not sufficiently cream crackered that it will stop me coming back for more. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I saw Simon but no other Nomads

For Viv’s calibrations, it was probably F5 gusting F6 (which fits with the Windfinder stats at Lulsgate)
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin » Mon May 04, 2009 19:36

nearly a disaster day
call off dave to verify it was going off at treco
in van got to first junction end of road
put clutch peddle to floor

OHHHHHHH ****------ van never stopped just went straingh across junction [:0]

Feck it no clutch[:(] and its windy [xx(][:(][B)][:0]
Back home in one gear no stopping , took a good 2 inches of slack out of cable , but enough clutch to get it in gear an drive ..
Tough deciesion to make , stay home or risk treco

FEK IT ITS WINDY[:p] TRECO HERE I go [:D]

Made it there , del, jamie and dave on 4.7m
me ,clive ,and bens went 5.2m --- good session well powered
scotty , mobbs and shingler turned up later as we went for coffe .
could see screamed dave and iano at newton but looked a lot lighter winds inside the bay
Iano was on his jp105 and 6m by the look of it[:0] oh what a difference 1000m of bay makes .
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Post by Keith S » Tue May 05, 2009 19:59

It's becoming a habit - Axbridge again. Got there about 11:00 - absolutely no wind at all. Hung around chatting and drinking tea. We do a lot of tea at Axbridge. Then about 12:00 the wind arrived. Occassionally making it to a F4. So went out on 130 JP Xcite and 8.5m Lightning - it's a different world here. Stayed out for about 2 hours. Then decided it was getting a bit silly so came in to change down. Got cold and decided was knackered so gave up and did more tea instead.
One of the T15 lads was out on a something very small and 5.0m, planing and popping some nice little jumps - life is just not fair.