Nukin' Newton Sunday 22nd

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt
surf god
surf god

Nukin' Newton Sunday 22nd

Post by Matt »

Cracking day at Newton for the planned event. Arrived around high tide and had a leisurely coffee and chat waiting for the tide to drop back a bit as a lot of wind shadow on the inside. Also spent a lot of time pondering what kit to take out, since a bit of float was needed on the inside without being totally overpowered and flattened on the outside.

Eventually I plumped for a 4.7 on 96L board, headed out and was fully powered up for the afternoon. It was all going off, including a lifeboat and helicopter. 2 or 3 guys were rescued, not all wanting to be, and their kit was left behind to wash in somewhere. Some good size lumps out the back as exepected and a real blast coming back in down the waves on the edge of control.

Reasonable Nomad turnout with Justin and Lorraine, Martin, Nigel and even a late (dry) guest appearance by Al. Sunny too. What more could you want?:D :D

The BWA crew were out in force as usual, see Kelvins site for details http://winsurfing.co.uk/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5030 . EDIT: Martin - looks like someone wants to contact you re kit salvage.

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

nice to see you guys on the "sunny and blue side " must have been a shock after recent weston trips to actually see white water :lol:

was a bit gusty untill the tide went out a bit then it alll came together with wind a bit more stable and some gentle waves to jump and play on .
Pic from Local photog Wayne Thomas

Aint seen no nomadic pics yet of some you boys ...
Last edited by kelvin on Mon May 23, 2011 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Reading the reports I'm glad I gave it a miss. Hamworthy was more than enough for me on the day this early in my season.

I got to Hamworthy about 10 to find the car park only half full, and only 3 on the water. But it was full by about 11, and people were still turning up until 5 when I left. Having checked out the sail range (4.2 to 5.5) I rigged the Kombat with 4.7 then spent a couple of hours fighting the gusts, with the odd wobble in the lulls.

As the wind was W there was more than the usual chop inside the boats which was plenty for me, but the wind was more gusty than usual. Initially I found I had to rest for a while after a few trips out to the boats and backs, I find the non planing on the smaller board a particularly tiring exercise.

As the wind seem to have dropped slightly since I arrived I changed up for a couple more hours on the 5.3. I certainly prefer more power and less twitch on the smaller board. By then I had got more comfortable with the board ventured out beyond the mooring to the back of the Island for some long runs in cleaner wind.

All in all a very good work out, although my body has been complaining badly since.
Last edited by Graham_U on Mon May 23, 2011 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Graham

Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

I had no doubt yesterday morning I had made the right decision to head to Portland (... on the basis of wanting to actually sail!), so very pleased that I did, although it does appear to have been an entertaining day!

Yes, if Matt was on a 4.7m then that says it all! Plus friend Tony (who only sails a smidgen larger than me) was on a 4.0m and 68l later on in the afternoon. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Anyway, good news that everyone was safe and sound in the end - even though the kit may not be!

Did Lord T make an appearance - a little concerned as he has been very quiet recently? :???:

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

Sue wrote:
Did Lord T make an appearance - a little concerned as he has been very quiet recently? :???:

never saw any red coloured boards or sails at newton maybe he was at treco ! :lol:
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

kelvin wrote:
Sue wrote:

never saw any red coloured boards or sails at newton maybe he was at treco ! :lol:

...yes, may have been a little tame for Lord T at Newton yesterday!

Nature playing with windsurfers

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: Nukin' Newton Sunday 22nd

Post by MartinF »

Matt wrote:EDIT: Martin - looks like someone wants to contact you re kit salvage.
This was from the girl (Sarah) with the blue van, who was with the American guy (Rob) who hadn't wanted to be rescued, WAS involuntarily rescued, and his kit was left to drift...

Ian K, Nigel & myself went for a stroll down the beach over to the rocks towards Ogmore where we could see from the car park there was something board-shaped. It was indeed a JP (Rob had lost a JP), lying remarkably undamaged on the sand between the rocks. We manhandled the kit back into the teeth of the gale - sand blowing in our eyes - and dropped it off by the car park.

Later, I saw someone grab the kit & head down to the water with it. On questioning him, it turned out it was his board (and not Rob's), that he'd dumped there when he found his son was in trouble and being rescued. He was somewhat confused as to why his board was back at the car park after having spent some time looking for it on the rocks where he'd left it :oops: .

BTW, his son's board was the brand new Quattro that ended up getting washed out round the headland. I guess that one disappeared, too.

Sarah contacted me this morning thinking I may have salvaged Rob's board. In our email conversation, it transpired they'd driven round to Ogmore, found Rob's sail - which was pretty badly trashed, but the mast, boom and board had gone. Some thieving b@51@*d must have had the lot.

Sarah - if you read this and have the details, post the board, boom & mast types and board serial no if you have it on the forum here in case it shows up somewhere.

Also inform the blue boyz, keep an eye out on eBay, and call the local shops (Rat Rigs, PuraVida, others?)

Otherwise - must have been a good day - my neck & shoulders are killing me. I was on 86l wave board with 4.7m sail. Really difficult to get out when the tide was highish, as it was a bit light on the inside, but once you did get out, there was plenty of power to haul you over the waves. Board was a bit big, but needed something floaty to get out.

Later on, the wind picked up a notch or three, & I was somewhat overpowered with 4.7m. By that time, I was through, and we called it a (hard) day.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

kelvin wrote:Aint seen no nomadic pics yet of some you boys ...
Good point - who's going to volunteer to be the club photographer?
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

defo a nomad or two here
pic from Local photog Bill Hillier

kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

more pics from Bill Hillier on facebook .

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 5ae61b3891
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Well, I'm not volunteering to be the club's photographer but here's one I took of the interpid Nomads who ventured out!

Oops don't seem to be able to post pictures - no hope then!
This was a 'family' visit for me, but I managed to squeeze a board and some small sails in the Sharan, just in case!
We arrived at about 1pm and took a look, but the lifeboat was being hauled back up the beach and a rescue helicopter was circling, so it didn't look too promising! Decided to go for lunch in town and then return later. Got back just as Martin, Matt & Nigel were finishing. It was windier still by then, and rocks appearing on the reef so I decided not to bother after all.
[Will email the photo to Martin to upload - not sure what the problem is.]

Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Speaking of photo's, Kel's found one of me and Justin and I'm even the air! On the wrong tack too!

I spoke to Bill the photographer after sailing hoping he'd got some of me and he said he had so what a guy! Maybe there's some more in his album. :D

EDIT: Whoops, don't know how that happened, I'm sure Kel's post wasn't there when I posted, I must've been looking at an older version of the page. Still can't have too much of a good thing can you.

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Looks like most had a great weekend - gutted to have missed it - worse than not being there I took a drive up to Lake Geneva (Wisconsin) on sunday morning and it was about 80F sunny and white caps everywhere - 1 guy out but nowhere to hire so drove back to Bradford beach Milwaukee where 7/8 kitesurfers were out - managed to find the local instructor but could not hire any kit - what a waste of a weekend :cry:

Adrian

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

facebook album link should work its open access and no need to be friends .

Another nomad jumping on right tack but he looks bemused at all the white stuff :lol: (from Bills album )

kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

kel www.winsurfing.co.uk