Sunday 29th July

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Justin
surf god
surf god

Sunday 29th July

Post by Justin »

Another Classic WSM sail today :P sunny, windy and a friendly group of Nomads to have a laugh with...perfect.
Same kit as Saturday, maybe a bit more powered up, definitely a few more lumps around, great fun :D .
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Another great day :D 8) :D - more wind than Sat, and out on my 4.7 and 74 litre Acid :D

It started more than a little daunting as I was ready to go 30 mins before high tide!! Tried launching and quickly gave up as the shorebreak was ominous, and there was no will to get out as I didn't fancy what I saw beyond the shorebreak!. Had another aborted half-hearted wimpy attempt after high tide - and then finally got out after it dropped a touch more, sailing until the tide reached the mud.

Really enjoyed it once I got going, and increasingly so as the water continued to flatten a little with the falling tide. Even so, the swell and size of lumps seemed much larger :shock: than the day before.

Ended up very pleased with having done two dry gybes on the Acid - something I had not thought was possible.

Lots of sun, but very chilly - so back in the winter suit.

Quite a few Nomads back for seconds - J&L, Matt, Mark, Greg and Adrian (kiting).

Another grand, fun day out. Body knows about it now!

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Like Sue back in my winter wet suit. I think Lorraine was on the beach before me but I was first Nomad on the water a couple of hours before high tide. Slightly windier than saturday and chop worse at high tide plus better waves as the tide dropped - some good backside riding and a couple of front side turns on my brand new kite surfboard - sadly the board did not survive the day loosing a fin box :roll:

Great weekend but struggling to walk today - my knee clearly did not like the period around high tide :???:

Adrian
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord
GregB
novice
novice

Post by GregB »

It was fantastic weekend. I really enjoyed both Saturday and Sunday sessions. Searching ebay for smaller wave board and ready to hit WSM again :)

See the link to Saturday's photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1085569252 ... -4yr-f60Ig#
Justin
surf god
surf god

WSM photos

Post by Justin »

Great photos Greg. 8)
Good luck with finding the wave board, hope to see you out on it at WSM soon :) .
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

GregB wrote:It was fantastic weekend. I really enjoyed both Saturday and Sunday sessions. Searching ebay for smaller wave board and ready to hit WSM again :)
Seems like we have another WSM convert :lol: and good luck with the wave board hunt, Greg. Great photos - although I'm sure the water is a bluer shade than that :lol: .

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Yes some great pic there Greg, although as I spent almost 4 hours on the water, disappointed that the only picture of me are looking knackered dragging my kit ashore or a red dot in the distance :(

I tried to convince my self that it was me in the air, but that Red (DrO would like it) Gun sail and shortie combo were fairly unique on Saturday. :roll:
Graham
GregB
novice
novice

Post by GregB »

Thanks All

Graham I promise to capture you in action next time...

In terms of wave boards, what is an optimal volume for WSM and last weekend conditions (my weight about 75kg)? Please could you give me any advice before I do a final bid?
Justin
surf god
surf god

wave boards

Post by Justin »

Hi Greg

Wave board size.....can get a bit complicated :???:
General thinking used to be to get a wave board around your weight in litres, say 70-75L, but width, style, number of fins etc. makes a big difference. I actually only ever sail my (74L) wave board at WSM when it's really windy - well powered 4.5m wind. I find my 85L FreestyleWave Board (or Lorraine's brilliant 80L RRD FreestyleWave if I can get it off her :wink: ) much more fun for the 5m - 6m sailing I normally do at WSM. In an ideal world I guess you want a 70-75L wave board as well as a 80-85L Freestyle Wave....but how many boards can you fit in your car? :lol:
Hope this is some use.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Hi Greg,

Great pictures - what size waveboard are you looking for? - I have way too much kit now that I am kiting......

Adrian
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord
GregB
novice
novice

Post by GregB »

Good point Justin, my Puma already looks ridiculous with all of my WS gear on the roof :) Thanks for summary and good advice. I will definitely need freestyle wave board. I am a bit worried about my skills and very low volume board like 75l. I think I would feel more confident on board 80-90l with my 5.3 sail.

Adrian what do you have in stock? My preferences as above.
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Another good sunny day at WSM, I was on my Syncro and 5.2m Rock again and getting in a few jumps. It made my day when Justin said he saw me go for one and told me it looked bloody high and would have made a perfect picture with all the spray that was created from the jump!

WSM can punish you when you make a mistake and I did make quite a few, but can be great fun when you get it all right!
Welcome to the Surf