Sat 28th March Axbridge (yet again)

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Sat 28th March Axbridge (yet again)

Post by Keith S »

A couple of hours at Axbridge dodging the dinghies doing an RS 200 & 2000 open event.
JP 130 and 7m T'bird. Sometimes wallowing, sometimes overpowered. Big gaps between the gusts. A couple of grossly overpowered wipeouts. Lovely mild temperature but the water's still not very warm. Only 2 windsurfers out.
No matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Re: Sat 28th March Axbridge (yet again)

Post by Matt »

Went to Weston, got there at the very neapy high tide. About half a dozen windsurfers out on 5.5ish, but wind reported to be very gusty. Didn't look too inviting and wind seemed be taking a bit of a break so chatted quite a bit until the wind filled in around 1.30pm. Had a decent hour on the Quad 92 with a bagged out 5.7 which was enough for me as I still have the remnants of a lurgy. Didn't feel cold at all in the full rubber ensemble. Worth the effort, especially as Sunday looked (and now is) a bit mental. :D
Should've been here yesterday.
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Poole Harbour.
Cold, raining, overcast, very windy with strong gusts.
In a word FANTASTIC.

4.5 Rock and the 144 carve (should have taken the smaller board though).
Phil
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

4.5 with the 144 sounds an interesting combo Phil, I bet that was an experience. :???:
Where in Poole were you? I tend to find at Hamworthy that any decent wind and even my Rocket125 gets too bumpy if I go beyond the boats/moorings as there plenty of room for the swell to build up. I've never evey bothered taking that big Isonic155 I had at Roadford down there. Mind you, this time of year with that cold water, floatation over comfort may be the way to go :D
Graham
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

I went round by the Chain Ferry, Sandbanks.
It was very interesting, started on a 5.5 and was blown flat so dug out the little used 4.5.
The 144 is bouncy in the lumps.

I went for the full Michelin Man look so the cold wasn't a real problem.
Phil
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I've not been down that end for years now. I struggle to justify passing the Hamworthy turning when I'm heading for Poole :D Well done getting out this early, hopefully after I get rid of this current bout of the lurgy I'll get out soon. But even with my thickest rubber I know hand and feet will suffer when the water is cold. Unfortunate the new boots I got for this time of year seemed to be a bit warmer but are too narrow and give me cramp after a short while, and I've never got on with gloves thicker than marigolds :shock:
Graham
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Top tip from the Weston warriors, palmless mitts.
They look ridiculous and outwardly don't seem very practical, however I found
if I put my fingers and thumb in while in the water and took them out just prior
to starting it made a huge difference (still can't work out how).

Phil