Daymer

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Daymer

Post by NigelP »

Traveled down for the lads week at Daymer, although this year was more notable for my mishaps than the sailing.

Things started badly on Saturday morning when the wheels fell off the trailer, literally. Eight wheel nuts came loose, two wheel came off - one being lost permanently. I tried all the trailer places in and around Bristol and fortunately found some replacements nuts in Bridgewater (just before they closed). The good news was this happened at 5 mph in Bristol and not on the motorway. The consequences are too dreadful to think about. The bad news was missing a great days sailing in a good f4 (although it seemed a small cost to pay).

Sunday was a no blow day, so we went waterskiing. Bad idea. I pulled/tore my ham string and was out of action for most of the week.

Monday was a F3 to 4, but no sailing for me.

Tuesday was a no blow day. Everyone else went water skiing/wakeboarding.

Wednesday F4/5 day, but found I could not gybe or water start on my leg, so after a 100 yard test run, I returned to the beach to sulk.

Thursday, f3 to top f4. I sailed for 2 hours on a 7.5 only falling off four times, so water starting was not an issue. It was heavenly, after a frustrating week.

Friday, mainly gusting F7, but occasionally an eight. I (quickly) found I could swim and water start on both tacks but I was not (mentally) up to the nuclear conditions. Everyone else had a ball.

Saturday, a no blow day. Found I had a flat on the trailer and no spare (having used it to get down a week earlier). I (very) nervously returned to Bristol and I am now searching for a physio, who I hope will have the technology to rebuild me.

I still can't comprehend how 8 wheel nuts could come loose on a trailer and there's no suspicion of foul play (altho' one wit did suggest my wife).
I will certainly be more cautious in the future.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Sorry to hear of your woes. Better luck next time I supose.
Strange about the wheelnuts though.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

From now on you'll be known as Nigel "8 nuts" P :-)
If found, please return to the pub.