Hard to find the VIP number

Tell us what you think about the site & the forums. What you like, what you don't like, what you'd like to see available/removed...

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
LucyP
complete beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:36
Location: Bristol

Hard to find the VIP number

Post by LucyP » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:52

Hi,

I've just registered with BNWC, but I have to say I struggled to find a VIP number: the link to rules and how to' s from the main forum page didn't seem to take me to the same items as the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page (which it took me a while to find).

It's also hard to tell from the main forum page whether you are logged in or not. It would be nice to have a 'Hello LucyP' or a 'Welcome back LucyP' kind of message.

An easy to find Help link at the top of the main forum page would be really useful for new users.

Don't know if any of that is do-able, but it would be great if it is.
LucyP

User avatar
kelvin
surf god
surf god
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 08:29
Location: s wales
Contact:

Post by kelvin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 20:45

sort it out mart :roll:
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

User avatar
MartinF
surf god
surf god
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:06
Location: N of Bristol. Prob in the pub
Contact:

Re: Hard to find the VIP number

Post by MartinF » Mon Jul 20, 2009 20:23

LucyP wrote:Hi,

I've just registered with BNWC, but I have to say I struggled to find a VIP number
It's supposed to be relatively hard to find. If it were too easy to find, the spambots would find it.
LucyP wrote:: the link to rules and how to' s from the main forum page didn't seem to take me to the same items as the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page (which it took me a while to find).
They both point to exactly the same page - perhaps you could try again?
LucyP wrote:It's also hard to tell from the main forum page whether you are logged in or not. It would be nice to have a 'Hello LucyP' or a 'Welcome back LucyP' kind of message.
Look at the the top of any page. If you see a "Log out" link with your name, then you can be pretty confident you're logged-in.
LucyP wrote: An easy to find Help link at the top of the main forum page would be really useful for new users.
Could I suggest one called "? FAQ"?
LucyP wrote:Don't know if any of that is do-able, but it would be great if it is.
In truth, all of your suggestions are sensible, but please bear in mind the following:

The software we use for the bulletin boards is free, open-source software. It is not written by anyone in the club. I have done a certain amount of modifications and customisation to the software. It is not simple stuff: There are around 270 files of code, containing (as an estimate) about 30000 lines of code within the application.

Even if I did know what all the files were for, and what all the code does, I still wouldn't have time to apply that level of customisation. And if I did, guess what? The next time we get a software update, all those modifications would be lost and I'd have to apply them over again.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.

User avatar
dro
surf god
surf god
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 09:58
Location: south wales

help

Post by dro » Mon Jul 20, 2009 20:29

Any problems Martin just give me a ring and Hugh Plwm and I will pop down the rugby club to have some brain stimulating tasteless straw coloured liquid and report back the next day.

No chance of solving anything but any excuse to pop down the club is welcome.

Yours helpfully

Lord Timid

P.S.
We could also give you a weather report !!!!!
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?

Post Reply