Monday 12th - Nukin at Weston!

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Monday 12th - Nukin at Weston!

Post by Adrian »

Got to Weston to find it not quite as windy as I feared - relatively steady at 30 to 35 mph so time to return to the light and rig a 4.0 on the Evo 75.

Water was already pushing up with the wind much higher than anticipated so shorter walk :lol: Lack of match practice windsurfing this year saw some good early jumps but dropped my first 3 gybes before I got dialled in and they stayed full planning strap to strap and dry for the next hour :lol: It was big out back with foam burgers everwhere but with so much power you could just go downwind and pick your spot - good air time and some nice backside slashy riding including getting some air off the lip and landing back on the face. The only trouble was that to ride well you have to be unhooked and with wind speed above board speed that is a lot of pull on the arms :cry: - so after 30 mins I had to have a quick break and down haul the 4.0 to hell - by now the tide was really pushing in and getting out was starting to become more interesting but even with everything taken off the 4.0 there was still plenty of power to get out but riding became impossible so after 90 mis and still an hour before high I was totally shot and like most called it a day as the water was already up to the stakes dividing parking from the beach :???:

As usual these very big days are just a brutal work out - so a good session but quite short - not often that you want 10 mph less wind :shock:

By my anemometer it finished at the top of 7 just shy of an 8 on the beach. Possibly my last evening sail this year :cry: although I think maybe only 2 or 3 anyway.

The worst part is that the session confirmed this years experience that I can kite all day no trouble but a couple of hours windsurfing really screws up my dodgy knee - still limping today :cry: - I might have to make a decision that I have been trying to put off and start unloading kit and move permanently to the dark side :roll:

Adrian
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Fair play for getting out Adtrian, I take my hat off to you, as that takes balls of steel to go out in those bilistic conditions!!

Shame about your dodgy knee, hope it's feeling better and you make a good recovery, as we would hate to lose you, ..... to the Dark Side :cry:
Welcome to the Surf
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Rode the motorbike West along the M4 about 6:30 last night - found my visor distorting under the pressure of the gusts! Never noticed that before :shock:
If found, please return to the pub.
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Adrian, I'm so glad you went out - respect! 8)
Probably for the best that I didn't take my 5.0 out given the conditions you describe! What on earth are foam burgers? I think I might have had quite a few mouthfuls of those if I'd gone out! :D

Maybe the windsurfing might be slightly easier on your knee if you go out in less than gale force winds next time though? :)
Sue
surf god
surf god

Re: Monday 12th - Nukin at Weston!

Post by Sue »

Adrian wrote: I might have to make a decision that I have been trying to put off and start unloading kit and move permanently to the dark side :roll:

Adrian
Maybe there is a "bright side" to the "dark side" :) - don't happen to have a nice 370 mast you'd like to offload, Adrian, do you? :lol:

Seriously, maybe take Rach's advice first, and go down a notch or two on the Beaufort scale first! Hope the knee gets better soon.

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Ian H
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Ian H »

I also made an attempt at sailing on Monday.
Windmeter registering steady 30mph and gusting to nearly 50mph.
Hoplessly overpowered on a 4m sail and found my green Bee 274 not really suitable for the conditions, nothing to do with my lack of talent-honest.
All I can say that for an hour and a half i did try.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Sue,

Might be able to sort a mast out for you - I only use my RDM's now.

Sadly I was told this week that knee will just get progressively worse and painkillers only solution until it is replaced :cry:

Advice on conditions undoubtably good but is was fun :twisted:

Rachel - on a 5.0 at you size you would have been a hazard to Lusgate :lol: Foamburger = wall of white water or brown at Weston closed out leaving you nowhere to go apart from down and out or quick chicken gybe.....

Adrian
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

knee will just get progressively worse

:'-( oh that's rubbish news, sorry to hear it.
Rachel - on a 5.0 at you size you would have been a hazard to Lusgate
Lol! :lol:
Yes and I think foamburgers would definitely have been on the menu!

[/quote]