Sun 29th

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Sun 29th

Post by NigelP »

Is anyone allowed out to play on Sunday?
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Yep - definitely. Count me in. Do you have any thoughts on location?
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

It has been a fairly wet week, so i suggest somewhere not too muddy.

However, as I have not removed the mud from the Quantocks ride, I am not fussy

I am keen to explore both Mountain Ash and Machen sometime. See Kelvins info under Routes/Dragon downhill & Alt Routes or if these URLs work http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/phpBB/v ... .php?t=899
http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/phpBB/v ... .php?t=975
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Don#t worry too much about mud - I have just ridden back from Chievely and exppected lots of mud infested ruts but the trails were as dry as a bone.

I am probably going to do south of Newbury to home tomorrow.

Adrian
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Martin and I are heading over to the FoD tomorrow. We should be there by 10.45 new time. We will cycle from the Pedalway Centre

All welcome, but Txt if you are running late.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Just seen this, hoping to join you for a long awaited FOD ride...... :)
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Thanks Martin and Nigel for the guided tour around some of the Forest's routes. Pity about the forestry operations blocking off some of the trails but it sounds like at least some of them will be recovered soon and now I've got some idea where to go on my next visit. Don't know why I don't go there more often really as it's only 40 minutes away for me.

Great to get out in the sunshine too. :D :D
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

All credit to Adrian, the trails were wonderfully dry and the sun shone (although you were reminded how cold it was when the sun went behind a cloud/tree)

We went back to do the Enduro course again, with a little exploring thrown in for good measure. As mentioned by Matt, forestry work has blighted the trail in parts. The good news, is that we have picked up the old trail again at the start. The bad news is that we still have not found a route through a section that had been ‘trimmed’ at our last visit, so we went off piste again i.e. we went bouncing over a carpet of pine branches. More bad news, is that from point 01 to 02 the trail has been demolished and we have lost a lovely windy single track between the trees. However, our revised route took us past point 05, where three/four downhill runs start (which we have used on earlier rides). On the way there, we discovered a lovely additional section of the downhill and then, on the way back to point 02, we could see a new trail going off to the left. So on balance, there was some good news. There has been some damage to the DH sections from point 05, although we believe these trails are being reinstated next week by working parties.

Just before the end of the Enduro (point 04) we talked to some ‘downhillers’ who showed us to a short uphill section, which feeds into a more radical downhill course with some ‘very steep roll offs’. We tried the upper part and hope to explore the lower section next time.

Also of note: Point 03 is where we dropped down in January and it ends up by a radical North Shore bridge. Point 06 is a MBX park, which looks flat with some large earth ramps, which Ian L is keen to try out. The fire roads around point 07 are starting points for further downhill routes, some of which are still to be explored. At least one is thought to have some serious jumps on it.

Great company, excellent weather and a wonderful ride :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am altogether more positive about the FoD these days (At least, in the dry).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.