WSM Monday 8th

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt
surf god
surf god

WSM Monday 8th

Post by Matt »

Phew!! Excellent afternoon at WSM today. Arrived to find Nigel rigging a 5.2, Justin and Mark refuelling, Simon (ambrosia) re-rigging and quite a few others around. The word was loads of wind so I rigged the 4.7 and got the Evo 80 out for a change.

Wrestled the kit down to the water wondering why everybody seemed to be taking a break. Soon found out when I had quite an intense first run out, with lots of big waves appearing in the middle and I was a tad overpowered to boot. Somehow I managed a dry gybe in the waves and made it back to the launch spot where I put a bit more downhaul and outhaul on. Once I'd also tweaked the harness lines I was in a state of reasonable control and started to have great time as despite their size the waves were reasonably spaced out making it easier, or less hard anyway. Loads of jumping on the way out and I had a few memorable gybes on the waves down towards the pier along with some great blasting, especially later on when the tide had dropped a bit, on the wide, flat bits between the waves. The Windy World boys were out and about too doing a bit of formation sailing, taking advantage of their day off. Carried on till about half 4 by which time I was very knackered but just managed to summon enough energy for the long walk back. A classic. :D :D
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Well arrived at WSM and it was windy. No it was Cluckin Windy!! – It looked Scary!! Every time I come to Weston, it’s always blowing a Gale!!
Justin was there already starting to rig a 4.5. I had a 4.0 and a 4.7 I could go with. Justin thought the 4.7 would be a better bet! Why do I listen to him?!
Justin went out first and came in to download and gave me encouragement to give it a try!
Decided I’m down here now, so walked towards those thumping waves thinking I’m gonna die!
Well you guessed it, spent a good half hour in a washing machine being spinned dried, but in shit brown water!!
Came ashore and hid in my van to have lunch!
Matt turned up, Justin came in from having a good overpowered blasting on his 4.5. What chance did I have on a 4.7?
Picked up courage to go back out again, met an experience WSM sailor who said I should hang on for ten minutes, as it will calm down and not be so bumpy. I gladly took this advice!

Ok back on the water, and I had ¼ hour getting on and being dumped off, it’s all about timing, as not only have you got to sail, but you got to watch the waves and turn into them or ride with them. Get caught out and you pay the price as you crash into the brown stuff!!

Eventually, I did get the hang of riding into and with the waves and even did a few small jumps off of them and had a few enjoyable runs on my Evo and 4.7 as by now the wind had eased off! So an enjoyable hour on the brown stuff in the end!

As Matt says, “You need to put in the time and be punished” I feel I still have a lot of punishment to come, but will be back for more, as feel I made a bit of progress!

Mark :roll: :???: :D
Welcome to the Surf
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

At last the waves are getting smaller :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to the Surf
Justin
surf god
surf god

WSM Monday

Post by Justin »

Really good sesion :D !
Loads of wind, sun and warm lumpy brown water - Classic Weston.
Fully powered on a 4.5m from start to finish, but with the neapy tide the 'waves' were suprisingly 'clean' and well spaced (for WSM).
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

One of the best days at WSM for a long time.

I tried to follow Simon's lead, as he was out on a 5.6. So, I opted for the 5.2. Just as I was leaving Justin suggested this was a silly idea and he was right.

So, just after Mat saw me leave, I returned for the 4.7 sq M. It's strange; contrary to the other reports, I found this was perfect most of the time and on the small side for some of the time. The lulls usually happened just after a jump and, inevitably, when I could see a wall of white water heading my way.

It was one of those days when jumping was mandatory and not optional. And I can confirm it is a very bad idea to land the board flat.

Not many dry gybes, but otherwise, just wonderful.

When I saw the long rang forecast the rest of the week was going to be windless, but it now looks as though the wind gods are still smiling. Wednesday is looking promising.

Bring it on, if it is going to be like last Monday. :D :D :D

PS I can relate to Matt's quote, however did he also mention the cheats solution? :wink: In an onshore wind at WSM, the waves are significantly less powerful the further you go towards the left of the beach (the Uphill end).
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

I believe my actual words were 'You've got to pay your dues.', but I suppose “You need to put in the time and be punished” is close enough! :D
Glad you made some progress anyway Mark, it'll seem a bit easier next time.
I forgot to mention the cheats solution but it's definitely the way to go when it all gets a bit much. Just watch out for the extra mud down there. :D
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

The line “You need to put in the time and be punished” certainly captures how I have felt about WSM on many occasions. It is always a relief to clear the beach.

The cheats solution I had in mind was launching from the feft hand side of the beach, as well as sailing at the Uphill end.

On Monday I had the misfortune (or more truthfully, misjudgement) to come off in only a few inches of water at Uphill. :oops: It was a full body roll and when I came back to the beach I was covered in sticky grey slime. This has since extended to everything I have touched and my wife, somewhat unreasonably, has complained that the bath will never be the same again. :shock:

The sacrifices you make for your sport. :roll:
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Hey Nigel,

Glad you can relate to my line on punishment and have felt the same way! Sorry to Matt getting his quote wrong, which his quote also rings true 'You've got to pay your dues.', Think I remember him saying that now with a big grin as his face!!

I LOL with Nigel story on Monday as he launched into the mud!! I can still see his wife scrubbing the bath cursing the mud at WSM ☺
Mind you, she will probably get him to do it, or he will be grounded from WSM!

Don’t you just love this sport, never a dull moment! Apart from when the wind don’t blow!
8)
Welcome to the Surf