WSM weds 10/8

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
surf god
surf god

WSM weds 10/8

Post by Sue »

Nice session today :D

On the water by about 2.30pm, with the 4.7 and 85 litre. I wasn't totally convinced the sail would be big enough (I'd rigged for an "increasing" wind forecast) - however Bob was already planing nicely on his new 5.5, so I was optimistic! I needn't have worried, as my kit was spot on - nicely powered without being overpowered, so I had a really comfy, enjoyable session in the lumps and bumps.

After about an hour the wind dropped slightly - enough for me to come off the plane :evil: ! So an enforced rest on the beach followed before it kicked in slightly again. Had a second good session out in the (by now) much larger bumps, and stayed well away from the shoreline breaking waves! Stopped shortly before high tide.

The high tide signalled a drop in the wind. So I waited around for the tide to drop and the wind to pick up - the wind did not pick up sufficiently for my 4.7. I nevertheless spent far too long being bashed about by large waves in the shallows, trying unsuccessfully to get planing and off the shoreline! I'll put it down to my sail being far too small by then! I couldn't be bothered to rig the 5.5, so it was a little disappointing not to be able to sail the outgoing tide some more

Nigel was there, and Adrian was out on the green and black kite, plus quite a few of the beach regulars.

As to the Vgrip boom trial (courtesy of Rich, Windsurfers World :D ):

- really enjoyed my two blasting sessions with it. It felt very solid (stiff?), and I felt I was holding the boom very lightly just by hooking fingers over it. It felt nice in the hands to gybe too

- I do now have blisters on my hands in places I don't normally get windsurfing blisters. Whether my hands need to toughen up in places not needed before, or whether it was due to fighting the rig whilst being bashed in shallows, I'm not sure. I think it is the latter.

Anyway - very keen to try it out for a second session :D :D

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Another good day at WSM; although, a totally different experience from Monday.

I used the 6.5 m, attached initially to my 112l Angulo, but this was quickly followed by the Hawk 93l, when the wind filled back in.

Conditions were choppy and great for blasting up and down, with the occasional hop. Later on there were times when I was underpowered on the 6.5, so I am not surprised that Sue found her 4.7 lacking in power.

Because I could just sit back in my harness I was able to stay out for a couple of hours, which is about twice my usual sailing time at Weston. My body just feels tired and not battered and bruised, which is a pleasant change. :roll:

There might even be some more wind on Sat. :D
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I would just like to point out that it's not really very windy in Baden Württemberg at the moment. I keep checking the windy meter but I don't think it's working right for here. And it's about 400 miles to the nearest beach. Don't worry - I'll keep you posted.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Hi Martin

How did you manage to fit in your Windsurfing kit as well as the camping stuff, bikes and Joy? Or are you just on a wind watching holiday?

And what's the sun doing?

Nigel
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Sadly, bikes, camping stuff & windsurfing stuff got left behind (but not Joy). Car was packed to the gunnels without these things as we sought to take advantage of the opportunity to return large amounts of Kathryn's property to its rightful owner, thus vacating large amounts of space in our loft and her former bedroom.

On an even more positive note, the car's engine - bizarrely - never missed a beat all the way down here.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.