New bike (frame)

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

If Martin is not riding it then its a good indication that there is a decent wind to be had, so long may it remain shinny new looking.
:wink:
Graham
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Verrrry nice

Steve
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Very pimp 8)
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

When do I get to "test" it? :wink:
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Ian Long wrote:When do I get to "test" it? :wink:
If it weren't for your rather worrying propensity for breaking all manner things for riding and sailing, I'd say it'll be when the wind dies AND when I can get some free time AND when I can shake this cold AND when it's not raining AND when it's not been raining for several days previously (see previous messages about not getting it dirty!) AND when I can take it down from the sitting room wall where it's currently on display :wink: AND when I can find a way of carrying it on my car's bike rack.

So it looks like July 2008 might be a possibility, then. :wink:
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Well, today was the day it got tested - even Ian had a quick play on it!

Whilst maybe not the best of days for critical appraisal owing to the overnight demolision of several hundred brain cells during the battle of the Ubley beer festival last night, here's some initial thoughts.

It's bloody tall!! I feel like I'm an extra foot or so off the ground due to the the very high bottom bracket. That seems to increase the scare factor on steep downhill bits :-0 .

Forks feel pretty plush, but maybe need a little more air in the +ve chamber.

Front gear shifter takes some getting used to after the Deores. It's not that it works the other way round, but you have to use your thumb to change both up AND down. This was apparent with several inadvertent changes to my largest chain ring on steep ascents :oops: For some reason, it seems less of a problem on the rear shifter.

Overall, it feels pretty loose, but that extra height does make it feel a little scary. I'm sure that's just something I'll get used to.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

How much sag are you running on the rear shock? Increasing the sag will lower the bike (once you're sat on it!), and I would aim for a sag of 1/3 of the total stroke. This will also increase the plushness. I doubt you'll blow through the travel, unless you'll be doing 5ft drop-offs! Competitive xc would be about 1/4 of stroke.
The other thing you could change is the tyres. eg going from 2.35" to 2.1" will lop 1/4" off the BB height. 2.1" should be adequate if you're running soft suspension.