New bike (frame)

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

New bike (frame)

Post by MartinF »

Well, have finally taken the plunge. Saw an offer that was too good to refuse: A Scott MC10 carbon frame. Brand new & unused. Reduced from £1999 to £1000.

Now, where's the book on how to get all the right bits and fit them....
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Ok, so now I have a frame which arrived today.

It doesn't go very well. Seems there are some parts missing (wheels, bars, forks, etc, etc.). Not sure what to do from here on in.
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

Martin, congrats - welcome to the money pit.

I guess it's a new frame. If so, standard operating procedure should be to get the head tube and bottom bracket shell 'faced' although I don't know if this applies to Carbon. Similarly, as it's Carbon I would get the headset professionally fitted as the 'bang it in with a hammer and a big lump of wood' approach my work less well.

I guess you then need to decide which bits you are going to re-use and which you are going to buy new. The obvious items are the front mech and seatpost as these are likely to be a different size (or maybe not). You may also want to take the opportunity to fit a new crankset/bottom bracket (e.g. onw of the newer ones with outboard bearings).

Other than that I would stick with what you've got for the time being and upgrade as bits wear out or if you decide they are unsuitable (e.g. stem length).

My 10p anyway.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

At the mo, I'm thinking I'll only transfer bars, stem, wheels & saddle from the Gary Fisher.

Front mech needs to be a Shimano E-type. No choice on that.

Thoughts for rest of gear go some thing like...

Forks - Fox Talas RL 90-130mm travel
Brakes - Avid Juicy Seven (SRAM) with 180/160mm rotors (front/rear).
Rear gear mech - Avid X9, 9 gear, long cage (also SRAM).
Gear shifters - SRAM Avid X.9. 9 speed (x2)
Crankset - Don't know. Probably RaceFace Deus XC & Rings X-Type + BB.
Headset - Don't know. Possibly FSA Xtreme Cartridge

But I'm open to suggestions. After all, what do I know about all this stuff?
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

MartinF wrote:
Forks - Fox Talas RL 90-130mm travel
Brakes - Avid Juicy Seven (SRAM) with 180/160mm rotors (front/rear).
Rear gear mech - Avid X9, 9 gear, long cage (also SRAM).
Gear shifters - SRAM Avid X.9. 9 speed (x2)
Crankset - Don't know. Probably RaceFace Deus XC & Rings X-Type + BB.
Headset - Don't know. Possibly FSA Xtreme Cartridge
Oooh... Bling!

All looks top stuff. I've got Juicy 5's and they're just fine (7's just get a bight point adjuster). Fox are top forks. However, the 2007 models are 140mm so it's probably a good time to pick up a 2006 model cheaper. I hear rumors about poor longevity from Fox but that doesn't appear to be backed up by Nomad's experience. Rock Shox Revelations or even Pikes would be a cheaper alternative or, if you want the full carbon experience, some Pace XCAMs.

I hear good things about SRAM and may upgrade in that direction myself IDC. I've already got their Shimano flavoured shifters. Not sure I'd splash the cash on the chainset as Shimano XT is still very good and much cheaper (as is Truvativ or even RF Evolve).

Headset - I've got FSA XLII - seems to be the best of the 'budget' headsets. For a bit more bling get a Hope or Chris King.
dro
surf god
surf god

wow

Post by dro »

It's as if I have slipped into a parallel universe
I recognise the word bike and new but not sure what else is happening

My experience of buying bikes is:

Go into shop
Ask to see the cheapest red one
Buy it ,otherwise buy blue one cos red one too expensive !!
Take it home and ride it.

Does this system not work in England?

I think the best thing to do Martin is to take it back and ask for a real bike with wheels and handlebars and other important bits.
As I told Nigel if you are deperate I can always cannabalise son no.1 's old bike.
Anyway good luck
Let me know if you want some bits

Huw
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

My goodness. Congratulations. Nothing concentrates the mind like a bargain.

No more test rides :(

I know a man who has a pretty carbon seat post still in its box :!:

I also have a Hollowtech bb spanner and the Shimano gadget for securing the front cogs and rear cassette...but I am away Mon to Thursday inc. Also a Hope brake bleed kit, if any or all are of use.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

spinout wrote:Oooh... Bling!
Possibly, though I'm not going for metallic blue valve stems, thus lowering the bling level :wink:
spinout wrote:Fox are top forks. However, the 2007 models are 140mm so it's probably a good time to pick up a 2006 model cheaper.
Indeed so. I've got my eyes on some 2006 TALAS on eBay. Plus, I'll be calling round the dealers tomorrow to see whether I can pick up some new '06's at discount as the '07's are already out.
spinout wrote:I hear rumors about poor longevity from Fox but that doesn't appear to be backed up by Nomad's experience. Rock Shox Revelations or even Pikes would be a cheaper alternative or, if you want the full carbon experience, some Pace XCAMs.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those - esp as I'm happy with the RockShox Rebas I have now.
spinout wrote:I hear good things about SRAM and may upgrade in that direction myself IDC. I've already got their Shimano flavoured shifters. Not sure I'd splash the cash on the chainset as Shimano XT is still very good and much cheaper (as is Truvativ or even RF Evolve).

Headset - I've got FSA XLII - seems to be the best of the 'budget' headsets. For a bit more bling get a Hope or Chris King.
Thanks Carl. Anyone else any wise words?
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

My Fox Talas forks are 2004 - performance excellent but longevity is questionable - realiablity is good but on their last service Tim flooks spotted wear which was an uneconomic repair, as with service and repair costs it would have been about £250- they recommended that I just run them until they die- still going strong so far.

They recommended Rock Shox but I guess they would.

Adrian
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Mixed views on the Pace RC 40's. Outstanding performance and can be serviced by yourself, which saves £70 a time.

However, the seals are leaking after 2 years and even though the replacement sets are relatively inexpensive (£30) they are still weeping. Can't understand why as they are only a rubber bush, but until resolved this is my only reservation.

Other shocks in the Pace range can have a poor reputation.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

Very happy with my new Pikes so far. Very adjustable (110 - 140mm travel) and quite light (around 4.2lbs for the Air U-Turn version).

The Maxle 20mm axle system is genius but does required you to get a new hub for your front wheel (unless you have a convertible hub).

I'm selling my Marzocchi All Mountain 2s if you're interested but I suspect they might be a bit OTT. They are releatively heavy (though not bad at around 5lbs) and have a long axle to crown hight for their travel. VERY plush travel and great small bump sensitivity though. Very robust too.

As a carbon frame I'm guessing you are going afer a lighter XC build? What's the rear shock?

Revelations might fit the bill at 100-130mm travel and QR. I also think Manitou Minutes could be good but for no particularly good reason I'm not a Manitou fan. Lots of bargains on CRC and others at the moment.

HTH,
Carl
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I thought I saw your forks on Singletrack - heading was spinout and name was carl but it said one careful owner - either not you or you got them from a careful owner :P

Adrian
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I thought I saw your forks on Singletrack - heading was spinout and name was carl but it said one careful owner - either not you or you got them from a careful owner :P

Adrian
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

spinout wrote:I'm selling my Marzocchi All Mountain 2s if you're interested but I suspect they might be a bit OTT. They are releatively heavy (though not bad at around 5lbs) and have a long axle to crown hight for their travel. VERY plush travel and great small bump sensitivity though. Very robust too.
Thanks, but no thanks. I've just ordered the Revelation Air U-turn.
spinout wrote:As a carbon frame I'm guessing you are going afer a lighter XC build? What's the rear shock?
It's Scott's own shock -
Scott Genius TC
3 mode / Lock Out - Traction Control - All Travel (125mm)
reb. Adj. / remote control
spinout wrote:I also think Manitou Minutes could be good but for no particularly good reason I'm not a Manitou fan. Lots of bargains on CRC and others at the moment.
Ditto.

Many thanks for the suggestions.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

NigelP wrote:I know a man who has a pretty carbon seat post still in its box :!:
It comes with seat post! And headset.
NigelP wrote:I also have a Hollowtech bb spanner and the Shimano gadget for securing the front cogs and rear cassette...but I am away Mon to Thursday inc. Also a Hope brake bleed kit, if any or all are of use.
Thanks, but won't be needing those.