surf god

insurance

Post by dro »

GLAD TO SEE FORUM BACK ON LINE
missed it dreadfuly like losing an old friend
well done the worker/workers

Anyway what is the Nomads' view on windsurfing insurance
yes or no
If yes what type? which company? and how much?

Reason why I am suddenly interested is that went for a splash around near Burry Port harbour and big sign saying no craft without insurance.

It also said only memberts of Burry Port jet ski club allowed to use ramp
Not impressed with that but the bit about insurance did worry me

Very naughty I launched from the ramp!!!
Spoilt the macho image slightly by falling straight in (too much wind)

The other question of course is a wind surfer a craft ? (answers please to Burry Port ski club and associates)

All the best
Huw
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: insurance

Post by MartinF »

dro wrote:GLAD TO SEE FORUM BACK ON LINE

missed it dreadfuly like losing an old friend
well done the worker/workers
Ahhh - AFAIK, it didn't actually go offline, but a recent update to the site left the wrong hyperlink to the forums on a number of pages, so it wasn't accessible from those pages.

FWIW, you can bookmark the forum "home" page so you don't need to follow links to it from other pages. The direct url is...
http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/phpBB/index.php (the "phpBB" bit is very definitely case-sensitive!!!).
dro wrote:Anyway what is the Nomads' view on windsurfing insurance
yes or no
If yes what type? which company? and how much?
Don't know that the club has an official view, but here's mine...

Like any insurance, you either think it's invaluable or a waste of money. What clubs like Burry Port (and many other sailing organisations) are worried about, is litigation against them for someone who may not be covered for 3rd party risks.

Being an RYA member, I'm automatically covered for 3rd party claims up to some ridiculous figure, prob around £1.5M. I believe that's pretty much in line with "industry opinion".

Additionally, if you have new/expensive/lots of kit, then you may want to consider fully comprehensive-type insurance. I have broken the odd mast/boom/sail and been able to soften the impact (metaphorically) through an insurance claim.

That said, I don't actually have comprehensive cover at the mo, though that is an oversight that I need to rectify.

You'll find appropriate insurance companies advertising in Boards mag. You *may* be able to add stuff to your household policy. I've always used Nobles Insurance & found them pretty good to deal with.

HTH.
dro wrote:The other question of course is a wind surfer a craft ? (answers please to Burry Port ski club and associates)
Almost all sailing/insurance/marine organisations would call a windsurfer a craft, AFAIK.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I use Viking Insurance myself, recommended by someone when I started. At many clubs its a requirement that you have £2M 3rd.Party insurance. Suspect it was probably required at Axbridge?? I think it starts from about £15.
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

In the past, I had all my kit comprehensivily insured. At the time I had 5 boards, only one or two were worth insuring, however all the sails were worth insuring. Since a rig is only insured if it is attached to a board that is also insured, I had to pay a fortune to insure all the boards + sails etc.

For me it wasn't worth it, particuarly by the time you consider the excess, so I stopped insuring my kit a long time ago. (My van insurance covers me for personal property stolen from inside the van and the house covers kit stolen from the garage, so it is only damage in use that I'm not covered for.)

I would strongly recommend you get 3rd party insurance - and for that I would point you to the RYA. Good value for money and their underwriters do pay out promptly.
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Ian Long wrote:I would strongly recommend you get 3rd party insurance - and for that I would point you to the RYA. Good value for money and their underwriters do pay out promptly.
I hope you've never had the misfortune to have to fork out on a 3rd party claim???? It sounds like you speak from experience?
Last edited by MartinF on Thu Jul 28, 2005 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
dro
surf god
surf god

thankyou

Post by dro »

thanks everyone
third party it is!
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Ian Long wrote:Since a rig is only insured if it is attached to a board that is also insured, I had to pay a fortune to insure all the boards + sails etc.
I strongly suspect this will vary between insurance companies. Noble Insurance never applied any such constraint on my insurance. Indeed, if a sail (or any other bit of kit for that matter) were stolen from my trailer, they'd cough up - minus excess, of course (£50?? Can be selected by the insured).