More Sunday the 19th and intro

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Mouser73
beach starter
beach starter

More Sunday the 19th and intro

Post by Mouser73 »

Hi,

I've been trying to post for a while, but the spellcheck hates me and stops my posts working. I figured it out, so here's my first post. Thanks to Ian for helping me out with this.

I've been sailing since I was 13, but decided to give it up when I was around thirty due to a knee injury.
Eight years later,(about six weeks ago), I went to Dahab on a Club Vass holiday and couldn't believe how much I'd missed it and how easy the new kit was to sail.
Anyway, I got back, bought some new second hand kit and have been sailing at Minehead where I live.
My Father never quit, which is good as I have someone to go out with. Most of the guys I used to sail with now kite surf down at the point, so it can feel a little solitary out there.

Since I've been back I've probably sailed about seven or eight times.
Once on a Sunday a few weeks back with pretty big swell and high winds.

We also sailed on Sunday; Not that windy, we were on 5.4's, but really nice conditions. My Dad bought a mini cam recently so I tried it out on Youtube today. The music's pretty generic and the dubbing non-existent, but hopefully the proceeding one will be better.
Here it is if you want to take a look.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3TtXvfA9qk

I look forward to meeting some of you guys and sailing at some different places.

Cheers,

James.

P.s, I see you guys also do some mtb. If anyone makes it past the Quantock let me know.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi James

Welcome back to windsurfing, to the forum ... and the Nomads? Yes, that spelling cow checker thingy catches most out - it's a little test, in that only those who really want to join in persevere to work it out!! :lol: Guess we should do something about it!

Liked your clip - looks as if you had a good blast last weekend. I've not sailed at Minehead, so maybe we'll have a trip to your patch. Presumably it's dependent on tides?

Look forward to catching up on a beach. Have you ventured to WSM yet?

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Mouser73
beach starter
beach starter

Post by Mouser73 »

Thanks Sue,

I started sailing when I was a kid, but gave up due to injury (non windsurfing) when I was thirty, but continued to mountain bike.
Recently the injury has been a lot better, so I took a trip to Dahab in April which got my interest going again.
I also met one of your members, who told me about the club/forum.

The sailing conditions in Minehead can be really good. We normally sail on a W/NW with the tide going out.
There are a few hazards, so sailing close to low tide can be a little risky.
When I was younger, we drove up the coast and sailed from Porlock Weir back to Minehead (about 6/7 miles), I'm hoping we'll get a chance to do that again this year.

I'm hoping tomorrow's going to be good; looks like 16-22 mph with high tide about midday, so if it works out we should get a sail all afternoon.

I've never sailed at Weston, but I've seen some pictures and vids and it looks really good. Some of the guys I used to sail with went there a lot. Not sure whether they're still sailing though.

Most people seem to have got the kiting bug where I live, but I'm having so much fun windsurfing now, that it's well off my radar. It may sound stupid, but kiting doesn't seem as complete as board sailing. However, never done it, so no expert.

Cheers,

James.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

We used to have regular trips to Minehead in the "old" days: 2005 was the last time it appeared on the calendar. Not entirely sure why it doesn't appear any more - other than it being a a bit of a trek from Brizzle (but no more so than Poole/Portland). Slogging along the coast road behind a procession of cars & trucks led by a tractor soon loses its appeal.

Interestingly, we would always aim to sail at low tide, rather than high. Sure it gets shallow over the reef a hundred metres out, and the concrete pier base by the beach gets exposed, but launching/recovery is much easier when the sea's off the shingle bank - just like the Knap, facing Minehead on the other side.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Mouser73
beach starter
beach starter

Post by Mouser73 »

MartinF wrote: Slogging along the coast road behind a procession of cars & trucks led by a tractor soon loses its appeal.

Interestingly, we would always aim to sail at low tide, rather than high. Sure it gets shallow over the reef a hundred metres out, and the concrete pier base by the beach gets exposed, but launching/recovery is much easier when the sea's off the shingle bank - just like the Knap, facing Minehead on the other side.
I know, the Bridgwater to Minehead road is pretty shocking. I drive it for work a lot and always seem to get stuck behind Butlins traffic, caravans or suicidal lorry drivers.

I guess we try to get down as close to high tide as possible so we don't miss out! I still have nightmares about turning up late to find I've missed the sail of the century.
In reality with work commitments, I'll often sail closer to low tide.
The pebbles are definitely a pain. Not bad at the moment with such small tides, but hard on the feet after a days sailing.
I wondered where Knap was. Perhaps it would be possible to sail there?! :shock:
On the bright side, if you do battle through the traffic to find there isn't any wind, you're only 15 seconds away from some of the UK's best biking trails.

Cheers,

James.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Hi James, glad you finally made it round all the forum hurdles. Well done with the vid, whats all this underarm front hand grip though? Next thing we know you'll be sailing with brute force, not technique and muscling the sail down ontop of yourself in the gusts :shock: :-)OO

Whats wrong with following a tractor Martin?
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

The hurdles have been removed at long last - viewtopic.php?t=1917

There's nothing wrong with tractors - as long as they stay off the roads, have silencers fitted, and don't operate at night.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.