Saturday 16th south coast

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Saturday 16th south coast

Post by Al Donald »

Looking windy (SW) for Saturday on the south coast. Given the tides, I'm thinking of Sandbanks. OTOH I heard a rumour that the situation at the Overcombe carpark has eased, but I can't see anything on t'internet to confirm this. Does anyone know for sure?
Anyone else thinking of going?
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

Can't come out to play on Saturday cos we are off to a wedding.

I have to admit I was hoping for a windless, wet day - purely on selfish grounds, so we did didn't feel as if we were missing out :oops:
Jeremy
harness user
harness user

Overcombe

Post by Jeremy »

At Overcombe a couple of weeks or ago. Had to buy £5 day pass. Seemed a relatively small penalty to pay given the convenience of a) being able to park right on the beach and b) a cafe a few feet away that doesn't seem to complain about wetsuits.
Unfortunately spending a weekend further along the coast with non-windsurfing friends so don't think that I can make it.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

I'm a possible for Saturday if the forecast stays reasonable. Tides look OK at Hamworthy, but Sandbanks sounds more interesting, assuming you mean the sea side?
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

With a bit more W in the wind, I'm guessing that Branksome may be better than Sandbanks. I'm sure Adrian will advise...

Jeremy, thanks for the info re Overcome, that's good to hear. If the wind stays SW it could be an option.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Still looking quite good for tomorrow (SW 14kts). Not epic, but I'm keen to get on the water anyway. I'm favouring Sandbanks (yes, on the sea-side Matt!) mainly because it's about 18 years since I last sailed there, and I generally prefer Overcombe when there's some E in the wind. I understand that Branksome only has a small carpark so may not be suitable.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Branksome is a very small car park and about £10 per day in season but best in a westerly. Forecast ssems to be SW at present so Overcombe, Sandbanks or Avon Beach would all work. It looks like quite a small pulse of wind coming through. I will look at the early evening forecast before making a decision.

Adrian
Justin
surf god
surf god

Post by Justin »

Me and Lorraine are heading for the harbour (Whitley Lake - not the sea side). Probably see you if you decide on Sandbanks.
Phil
novice
novice

Post by Phil »

sandbanks sounds good - silly question but where do you park - is windsurfing restricted in any areas?
pardon me i've got wind
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Some disagreement between the forecasts: windguru and xcweather giving more wind further east along the coast, whilst BBC is sticking with 17mph for Weymouth and 15mph for Poole. Even so, I'm still favouring Sandbanks at the moment. I've never known Adrian to miss out on the good conditions, so I'm waiting for his "decision"!
btw There's a large carpark at Sandbanks - go past the harbour and the car park is on your left. You can't miss it! I'm not aware of any restrictions, other than the rocky groynes and the ferries going in and out of the harbour.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

The late forcast is showing very little, will check in the morning. If it looks on i will join you at Sandbanks.

Adrian
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Ah. After all that build up and anticipation, it looks like the wind has deserted us at the last moment, and there's heavy thundery showers too. There is wind much further east, but I don't fancy travelling that far. Let's hope for better next w/e for the Nomads event in the Solent.
I blame Neroli! :wink:
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Frustratingly, it seems to have been a lot windier on the south coast than this morning's forecasts suggested, eg Portland in the high teens knots. Perhaps we should have gone anyway :oops: .
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Not at Poole from the site I checked - might have been ok at Calshot though.

Adrian
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

We don't seem to have missed too much judging from the reports on the Boards forum. It was hard to tell from the webcam though. :???: