Sunday 5th April - The Gap

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

RaV
surf god
surf god

Sunday 5th April - The Gap

Post by RaV »

We are riding the new and improved Gap route this Sunday. Forecast is good, there is a great cafe 1/2 way and Steenie has a new bike which he's riding for the first time.

Meet at 10:45ish in the car park at the far end of Talybont main street.

Cheers,
Rob.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make it: My right knee, which was suffering from skiing; made worse by Ashton Court & Leigh Woods the day after returning, maintained in poor shape by last weekend's jaunt around the FoD - needs a slightly prolonged rest. It seems that every time I jump on a bike, it suffers badly for 4 or 5 days afterwards.

Wish I could join you. Have a good one.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Looking forward to joining Rob & Vicky
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Hi Nigel,

Just the R of Rav on Sunday as I am slave to my assignments as they are due in on Monday - ARRHH!!

Have a great ride - I'm not jealous at all - NOT!!

V of RaV
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

V
Sorry to hear about all this dedicated work. :cry: It will all be over soon. :D

Hopefully you have some adrenalin left over from last Wed to tide you over.

Ni
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Really really sorry I can't join you all at the Gap :cry: Nicky and I are doing the short David Duffield route road ride ( 60 miles) as Lands End John O' Groats is only 2 months away and we need to put the miles in.

Cycle Active singletrack skills day at the Forest of Dean was brilliant just need to get off road and practice now !

Have a great ride tomorrow and don't eat too many cakes at the cafe :wink:
Onwards and upwards
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I am pleased to say that all 13 of us were very restrained in the café.

It was another epic ride, with a number of very good riders. The weather was sunny and dry although there was a crisp wind on the top

It was good to see Adrian, Steve and Viv, and catch up with the news. This time I narrowly escaped paying my renewal fee, but it can’t last long.

Fortunately there were no major incidents to report, which is unusual for this ride. Sonny managed to keep the number of punctures down to a modest 2, while Anna came out in sympathy with a token puncture. My front brake squealed its way around, which felt like torture. (Saturday’s servicing session was totally ineffective, so it’s off to Chainreaction to buy new pads and pots)

Just recently I have been feeling more comfortable and confident on my bike, but definitely not on this occasion. I felt very timid and hesitant on the downhill sections, with multiple stops and dabs. This was not helped by experiencing a worrying wobble on the very first section of the day. Last time I completed the ride I remember being far more confident and flowing. Maybe I have spent too much time visiting hospitals over the last couple of days (My daughter seems to have inherited the stupid gene from somewhere).

As to the stats: 21.9 miles, 3272ft climbed and 3171ft descended. (Don’t ask why the two are different). So, there was a similar amount of climbing to the Wall Whytes combo, but the Gap is a little shorter

Thanks to Rob for guiding us (straight to a wonderful café) and for an excellent day out.
8) 8) :lol: 8) 8) 8)
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

The Gap as a Google Earth jpg. It looses a lot in the retelling. For some reason I was not able to load the Google Earth file @ 88kb but can send by email.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

e mail it to me nige
intrested in your chosen route , see if it matches mine ...
cant tell on one thats posted .
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk